Owning Retirement Homes. Formerly Sue Ryder Homes
A sea of yellow rapeseed. Rich growth of April May
1. Harristown Portal Tomb.
2. Mound and Holy Well at Miltown. A double ditched embankment, like an early Christian ring fort. There is a second mound, not far from the former on formerly, Alyward's now Reid's land, that is said to have a door inside it, this probably refers to a souterrain perhaps, as souterrains were commonly associated with raths, mounds and early Christian type sites. Rath now disappeared, at former Brogan's of Miltown. While forestry reclamation was being done in 1991 on land at Knockbackgeldown, sub-division of Garrygaug, evidence of where mill wheels were hewn out was found in rock face, there was a mill at Miltown. Knockbackgeldon was an old farming village of small farmers, among those who lived there in the early 1900s was a family named Hearn. A shop there for making clay pipes.
3. Muckalee graveyard.
4. Marquis of Monument modern Celtic Cross marking the spot where the 3rd Lord of Waterford, Beresford was thrown from his horse and killed on Corbally Hill.
5. Medieval farming village of Lickawn.
6. Barry's rath near the Lickawn village.
7. Holy Well at Tobernabrone on Bog Road.
8. Two raths at Kilmogue and two at Harristown. One rath at Kilmogue is supposed to have been the site of a hermit monk's cell, about six fields away from the church and small monastery at Kilmogue.
9. Garrygaug National School built in 1855. Fine cut sandstone building, disused.
10. Remains of old 1890s creamery at Miltown.
11. Remains of an Aylward forge at Mullinbeg.
12. 1900 Creamery at Mullinbeg.
13. Cavern on Carrig-thrist at Mullinbeg.
14. Harristown Bessborough Estate village, built in the late 18th/early 19th century by Lord Bessborough, landlord. Contained pub, shop, shoemaker, and 1888 National School outside village. Also a bulk of which the tree is now rotten. An old R.I.C. barricks.
15. Templeorum village and church. Another Bessborough Estate built village which had butcher's shop, pubs, shebeens, dispensary, post-office, R.I.C. barricks, shop, national schools, in the 19th century and forge. Older medieval farming village was situated south of current Templeorum church, on the track of old road leading to village, near the river which was crossed by a timber bridge, Jack Daniel's piers are the only visible remains left now.
16. Goat's chapel upper Raheen, was a thatched open ended chapel, post Reformation until 1720 when thatched one before current 1810-14 was built at Templeorum village.
17. Portal Tomb at lower Raheen. Tradition says was also used as a Massrock.
18. Standing stones at Tinnakilly, Jamestown, in O'Brien's Bog at Oldcourt, south of Templeorum church. Standing stone in ditch at lower Raheen. The standing stone in O'Brien's bog at Oldcourt and the one in the ditch in lower Raheen, are each a few hundred yards distant at south-west and north end from a double-ditch or bank which travels for over a mile through three farms, dividing Raheen from Templeorum townlands and from Oldcourt townland.
19. Double ditch on O'Shea's land bordering top road to Templeorum village. Fitzgerald's land on one side, O'Sheas on the other.
20. Shirley's big house or locally called "Castle" at lower Raheen. Maybe the site of an earlier Walsh castle. A 1600s Inquisition in Canon Healy's book 1893, History and Antiquities of County Kilkenny, gives some credence to this possibility.
31. Remains found of old cabin type house at lower Raheen, on top road to Templeorum in December 1995 while digging the foundation for a bungalow.
32. Bishop's head, St. Patrick with nose dented taken from side entrance to 1810-14 Templeorum church during renovations in mid-1970s, in a garden on Owning hill.
33. In June 2000, the remains of a pre-Christian monument, was destroyed in upper Raheen.At the side of Moonacura lane. The antiquity consisted of an inner half circle of about 7 to 9 uprights, outside a moated or mund like structure, the ground in its vicinity is marshy, and an outer circle of 3 uprights, pointing to the Comeraghs, facing the March solstice, there were other smaller stones strewn in between and near the taller uprights. The uprights and stones are heaped in the northern corner of the field, in jumble, the uprights are recognisable by their pointed top end, not unlike the remaining upright in Glenbower wood (marking so called Mas Hollow) and standing stones generally. The sandstone is relatively smooth, smoother than the sandstone of the uprights in the stone alignment on Owning hill, brighter in colour. The uprights seem to have pointed in the direction of a well in Morris' of Moonacura, and perhaps to the portal tomb on O'Shea's hill, lower Raheen. The tomb or stone alignment was sited at roughly the eastern end of the field, just as you enter by the broken iron gate. Formerly Brown's land, since the 1960s, Hart's land. Could this have been a Bronze Age barrow burial site? Or was it the remains of ring cairn? Or the remains of a ceremonial four poster monument of two horizontal rows of uprights. The uprights are similar to those of the Smithstown Stone Row in Tullogher/Mullinavat region. Like the stone in Glenbower wood the uprights in upper Raheen would be lower in height. The Ordnance Survey have been notified, the Archaeological branch, under Dúchas, and it has been put on file with written destription and pencil drawing of site.